Since the advent of the web, we’ve been able to watch music videos by our favourite musicians as singles and as full-on albums. But these days, if you want to watch a full-length video by a musician, chances are you’ll have to go to a video streaming service. Enter YouTube, the largest online video streaming service in the world. YouTube has a growing selection of music videos, and today we’re going to take a look at some of the best ones to watch if you’re a fan of a particular musician.
Some of the best musicals, plays, and movies of the year are coming soon. Here are some plays, musicals, and movies currently being developed for Broadway, London, or the big screen that are worth keeping an eye out for in 2021.
Best 10 Musicals You Must Watch
- The Sound of Music — It’s a long-standing tradition that, each year, The Sound of Music plays a significant moment in the lives of its audience. But, what makes ‘A’ such an iconic number? No matter who you are, the Sound of Music will have you humming along from start to finish. From the iconic song “My Favorite Things” to the heart-wrenching “Climb Ev’ry Mountain,” this movie is a joy to watch and a joy to listen to.
- Chicago — Chicago, one of the top musicals, has been named by Chicago as one of “The 100 Best Music Venues in the World”. The venue has been hosting the highest quality music since 1967.
- A Chorus Line — You may be familiar with the Tony award-winning musical, A Chorus Line. If you’re not, you’re about to become a big fan because it’s time to learn everything you ever wanted to know about the iconic story of a group of outcasts who find their unity, and their potential, in the face of oppression.
- The Music Man — ‘The Music Man’ first opened on Broadway in 1957, and it was a huge success, transferring to London the following year. The show ran for over 300 performances and was later adapted into a movie starring Robert Preston, Shirley Jones, and Mary Martin. Over the years, it’s been played on Broadway and around the world many times, and even done a stage tour in China.
- Les Mis — From a fan-made musical based on the book to a stage musical based on the book to a 2012 movie soundtrack, a musical based on a book is a very long way from the original Les Misérables story. But if you think this is an exhaustive list of how people have interpreted Victor Hugo’s classic novel, you would be wrong. There is one more adaptation of Les Misérables that you may not have heard of, and if you haven’t, you’re missing out.
- The Book of Mormon — The Book of Mormon, one of the top musicals, is a Tony Award-winning musical that tells the story of two young missionaries sent to the heart of Africa. The two missionaries were sent to Uganda to preach but soon discover that they have been deceived and instead must face down and destroy evil pirate Captain Morgil and his crew.
- The Phantom of the Opera — The Phantom of the Opera is a musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber about the story of the Phantom, a phantom who falls in love with Christine Daaé, a young opera singer. The musical premiered on Broadway in 1988 and has been performed across the globe ever since.
- Mamma Mia — In Mamma Mia, the search for a bride leads a young bridegroom to discover his mother. In this musical, ABBA and Donna and all the other ABBA song stars (except Agnetha and Anni-Frid) make a special appearance to help fill in the blanks. This is a feisty and funny musical, and the script is loaded with funny lines and funny situations.
- Evita — Evita is the ultimate musical. Well, besides Aida. And probably Oklahoma. But it’s still a classic. If you haven’t seen this or any of the many sequels, they all make brilliant sense now. And they aren’t as cheesy as you might expect.
The musical has always been a staple of the Broadway landscape. They have a tremendous range of stories that can be adapted to fit virtually any type of soundtrack, and the stories themselves can be as simple or as complex as the writers and directors decide to make them. Many musicals tell love stories, and they often dramatize the hardships of growing up and coming of age. Most of all, though, musicals are exciting and entertaining.